Slate Roof Repair Wisconsin & Illinois
The key to a long-lasting slate roof is a proper installation. Slate roofs are specialized and require a lot of training and experience to install. If your slate roof is not properly installed, the outcome can cause major problems. The same goes for slate roof repairs, your slate roof should only be repaired by a qualified slate roofing expert.
At Van De Hey Refined Roofing, our slate roof crews are trained and have years of experience to accurately assess the condition of your slate roof and determine if it is in need of repair or replacement. We offer slate roof repair and replacement in Waukesha, Appleton, Oshkosh, Madison, Milwaukee and Green Bay and De Pere areas in Wisconsin.
When properly installed, a natural slate roof requires relatively little maintenance and can easily last 80 years or more. You need to take into consideration that slate roofing materials are not equal in terms of quality and longevity as a roof covering due to varying qualities and slate softness. As a general rule, the softer the slate the shorter its life expectancy; however, even soft slates can have a life of over 50 years. Harder slates can last in excess of 80 years.
Slate roof tiles have naturally occurring hairline cracks and imperfections. Over time these imperfections can cause failures in the form of broken or cracked slates. It only takes one broken or missing slate to cause a roof leak. Damaged or missing slates should be replaced by a qualified slate roof contractor. Deciding whether a historic slate roof should be repaired or replaced can be difficult and each roof should be evaluated individually. We are here to help you determine if your slate roof needs repairs or a full roof replacement.
Replace or Repair Your Slate Roof?
- Factor in the slate roof’s life expectancy given the quality of slate and the age and condition of the slate roof.
- Assess the number of damaged and missing slate tiles. Typically, if less than 20 percent of your entire roof, then you are probably looking at a slate roof repair. If damaged slate tiles are found all over the roof, the tiles are probably too old to salvage, and it’s time for a slate roof replacement.
- Check for leaks in the attic and living areas. Keep in mind that gutters, valleys, and flashings are more likely to cause leaks than slates are.
- If you have moisture damage to roof rafters and sheathing, this most like due to old, delaminated slate roof tiles that hold moisture and cause rot.
- Slate is durable, so many times metal flashings often wear out before the slate does. Even a tiny hole can allow large quantities of water to enter the building.
- To find out whether your slate roof tiles are in good condition, knock on fallen slate roof tiles with your knuckles. A full, deep sound means the slate is good, while a dull thud suggests the slate is in poor condition.
Slate roofs should be inspected annually by a slate roof specialist. Regular inspections will help identify damaged and missing slates. Prompt repairs will help prevent water damage to your home and accelerated deterioration of the roof and roof sheathing.
Van De hey Refined Roofing, LLC (VR Roofing) is a slate roof repair and replacement company serving the Waukesha, Appleton, Oshkosh, Madison, Milwaukee and Green Bay and De Pere areas in Wisconsin. We’ve recently expanded to include Sheboygan, Shorewood, Oconomowoc, and Verona to our business area. We install slate roofs, repair slate roofs, replace slate roofs and provide slate roof maintenance services. We are fully insured and bonded, asbestos certified, and we have a certified roofing license in both Wisconsin and Illinois. We also have a Fall and Spring Roof and Gutter Maintenance Program. Check out our current roofing projects.
At VR Roofing, we pride ourselves on providing superior customer service. Contact us today for more information regarding your slate roof project in Waukesha, WI or our many other service areas in Northeast Wisconsin.